Deb Matthews has been appointed President of the Treasury Board. She has also been named Minister Responsible for leading Ontario's second Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS). Here are the instructions to Minister Matthews related to the PRS.
Leading the Poverty Reduction StrategyAs President of the Treasury Board, you will appreciate just how important reducing homelessness and poverty are to the province. Homelessness costs Ontario’s economy. Investments in housing can mean savings down the road because people are healthier, more ready for employment, and participating in the community. As we look for ways to make the most of public investments, it becomes clear that human resources are the province’s most valuable asset in overcoming its fiscal challenges. When you leave no one behind, you arrive at a new destination stronger than ever.Strategic decisions about our investments must be informed by our commitment to protecting the most vulnerable in our province. Building on our government’s work under the first strategy, I am honoured to appoint you as Minister Responsible for the Poverty Reduction Strategy and I ask that you oversee the implementation of Ontario’s new Poverty Reduction Strategy: Realizing Our Potential.Your leadership on this file will include working with our community, businesses and not-for-profit partners to achieve better outcomes for Ontarians living in poverty. Working with your minister colleagues, I ask that you focus on:
- Continuing to break the cycle of poverty for children and youth.
- Enabling persons to move toward employment and income security.
- Working toward a long-term goal of ending homelessness in Ontario.
- Using evidence-based social policy and measuring success.
- Continuing to call on the federal government to work collaboratively with Ontario to develop and implement solutions that meet the needs of Ontarians.